Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Good Old Milk Can - For Fall


My mother is why I have a slight obsession with the old. I can still remember all the countless weekends I spent following mother around at garage sales, rummage sales and vintage shops. I guess in a way, I am extremely thankful, otherwise how else would I have developed an eye for great possibilities. :)

This little guy was rescued from a garage where Hubby and I lived. The Landlord was going to throw everything away, and I came to save this wonderful milk can before it was too late. 

At first I wanted to paint it a bright and wonderful color, so I did. 
Here you can see it in an orange/salmon color. It was great with my summer decor, but I got bored and wanted to change it up. 

Don't mind the crazy puppy walking in the background. 

I got my inspiration from here, finding this little beauty on, of course, Pinterest. 

I had some left over paint and decided that this Warm Chocolate from Behr would work perfect. 

It says Gidden on the container, but it was actually Behr. 
And of course you'll need a paint brush. You can also use a sponge brush, but I had a clean paint brush handy and ready to go. 

I did three coats of paint. Here it is at its first coat. I really liked the pink color undertone, but decided against it and continued to add two more coats. 

I let the paint dry about 20 minutes in between each coat. 

Here is the final coat of paint. 

I absolutely love it! 

I couldn't decide if I wanted to wrap the entire thing in Burlap or just add a simple bow. I again decided against my first idea and went ahead with a simple bow. 

I cut a thick strip of burlap. It wasn't by any means even or perfect. Beauty of the DIY world. 

Fraying happens when working with burlap so I would recommend working with it in an area that you don't mind getting messy... Like hubby's extremely disorganized garage. 

Making bows is really easy. I've heard a lot of people say they do not know how to make bows. Don't be afraid it's not that hard at all. 

Wrap the burlap around the milk can. I tied it a little high, only because once it was tight I pulled the burlap down, so it would fit really snug against the milk can. 
Make two bunny ears. 

Take the right bunny ear and tuck it over the left bunny ear. 


Then pull. I think this is where most people give up. It looks pretty sad and ugly. But don't worry. 
Start playing with the bunny ears, pulling and tugging. 

The nice thing about burlap is that it is really bendable and really easy to work with. 

Here is my pretty burlap bow. 

I wanted to add my milk can to my porch decor. So here it is with my pretty yellow mums. 
You can still see some of the pink inside of the milk can lid, but I plan on putting a pumpkin on top, so I didn't care to paint all the way inside. 



Here it is with the rest of my porch. It's coming along nicely for fall time. I'm still deciding what direction I want to move with some pumpkin decor. 


You can view my fall post here

I had completely forgotten about my BOO rug that I purchased at Big Lots at the end of last year's season for $2! 

There it is folks, an easy DIY!